Wednesday 27 January 2016

A farce called higher education in India

As the protests at HCU continues, our university also jumped into fray with allegations of caste bias.  While the case is being debated, what caught my attention was the statement made by the outgoing Vice chancellor.  He, and I quote the newspaper here, says "that he is completely against any student being made to leave the university without a degree."
In another incident, I realized that only 3 students have opted for the optional course I offer. When I tried to find out about the reason, it turned out that they wanted the marks/grades without sweating over the course (if I was kind enough to give them the handouts and ask straight questions out of the handouts, they might consider taking the course).
Finally, I forgot but at the Delhi International book fair was a stall selling project reports.  They had all kinds of reports and all one had to do was to put in the name of the students, the name of the supervisor, and the name of the university. Voila, it was done.


In a depressed mood, wondering what the heck was I doing,  I discussed this with my colleagues.  Our suggestion is simple. Let us give the students the degree the moment they get admission into an University. I do not have to teach, set questions papers, grade exam answers (let us give all of them the highest CGPA to avoid insinuations of discrimination), write research grants, get money, worry about thesis, coax students...why bother?
Which of course is what SVS Yoga Medical College in Villupuram, Tamilnadu did. The only thing is that college had demanded heavy fees for a simple certificate.
So please tell me what higher education are we talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment