Tuesday 2 December 2014

Arugula Chickpea salad with sweet potato soup

On Sunday we harvested the arugula as well as spinach.  This was the third crop of the spinach. The previous two had bee enjoyed by the peacocks and the nilgais. The peacocks also took one crop of arugula leaves at which point I put a green netting to prevent them from entering.


Today's menu, therefore, featured arugula leaves. I made a salad using chickpeas, potatoes, red radish and cucumbers.  I heated one tablespoon of olive oil and added cumin seeds. When they crackled, I added the chickpeas and potatoes and sauteed them for a bit. Seasoning was with salt, black pepper and lime juice. In the end I chopped arugula leaves and mixed it in.

I also made soup with one sweet potato, carrot, and onions. Today I used green chillies as spice. It was a nice meal to have with rotis.
Meantime, the spinach bed has been cleared and we have planted strawberries. I did not know that one can grow strawberries in Delhi. My gardening bible- A Sahib's manual for the Mali by Alick Percy-Lancaster- merely said that the strawberry plants should be planted 1 1/2"apart.  I saw some plants last year and tentatively broached the subject with Nanku Ram ( In many ways he is like Angus McAllister of Blandings Castle and one needs to be cautious will approaching him). He was most receptive- only telling me to get it from Rajdhani Nursery as they have the plants that would bear fruit.  So let us see whether we get strawberries this year or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment