Sunday 14 February 2016

Spring

Winter was really a disappointment this year. It was really cold for barely a week.  The rest of the time it was declared winter simply because there was no sun for most of the days.  And when it did put in an appearance it was the watery kind.  Today, on the other hand, the sun is really shining and the poppies in my garden have begin to bloom.  And I got to see the first dahlia of the season in my garden.
This year the nasturtiums took over with a vengeance. I did purchase a packet of seed but never got the opportunity to sow them because the seeds left over from the last year started sprouting and before I know they had taken over the entire garden. 


The other flower that has really done well is the alyssum.  The petunias have not started flowering yet.   I expect within a week they would do.
The strawberries were a disappointment to me but not to Sammy, the squirrel, who inhabits my garden. He has been gorging on them.  The rock pigeons too appreciated the strawberry plants by roosting on them in December and January, thus, destroying half of them.
The rose really excelled this year. The bush was covered with masses of pink and white roses bringing in much needed colour during the drab months of December and January.
The vegetable garden did okay. I had three crops of spinach and lettuce and one crop of argula and fenugreek. We have planted fenugreek for another round of crop before the heat sets in.  The cauliflower as earlier blogged were eaten up by the Nilgai.  We tried once more after putting in the fence.  Then the porcupines gorged on the plants so we gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment