Thursday 4 February 2016

A seductive experience: Orange-chocolate cake

Long time back I had made chocolate brownies with a hint of orange. It had the most divine taste.  I carved for tasting that once more. Of course I lost the original recipe long time back (I discarded that recipe book when I moved from Charlottesville to Denver) but I have been experimenting with many different chocolate cakes and attempting to infuse in the orange flavor.
Yesterday, I decided to make Chocolate cake with ragi flour.  The impetus for it was that I had to return a container to my aunt and of course, one cannot return back an empty container especially if it came with food as it did.
I checked few of the websites and introduced my own changes. 
The dry ingredients:
1 cup  Maida
1/2 cup ragi flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tblsp cocoa powder.
These were mixed together thorougly and added to the wet ingredients:
3/4 cup yogurt
1 cup  jaggary melted and filtered (this is essential because the jaggary usually contains lot of soil and needs to be filtered).  After filtering, the liquid came to 1 cup.
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
The wet ingredients were beaten together before adding the dry ingredients. Once the two were nicely mixed, I added fresh orange peels (about 2 tblsp).
I baked it in a 8" prepared pan in a pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes at 170oC.
The cake was amazing. It had just the hint of orange I was expecting.  There was enough for me to take to the lab who of course finished it. When I went in to the lab after a meeting one of my student was eating the crumbs so I am assuming it was good.
Oh, I did give two pieces to my aunt who in return gave me banana bread. So we are now quits. At least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment