Wednesday 4 November 2015

The onset of winter- Rosy Starlings and Shrikes

In this age of silliness -what else can one call it when the Right loonies start taking pot shots at Shah Rukh Khan of all the people.  He might be the worst of the actors (according to my brother he is the worst actor though I remember him in Fauji, a television serial that used to air in 1989.  That is when we girls fell in love with him) but to really equate him with Hafiz Saeed is height of absurdity. I can only think that the Right Loonies like to be always on the front page and therefore, make the most provocative statements just to ensure their five minutes of fame. On the other hand, it is now easy for me to decide not to read the newspapers in the morning. It is really pointless.
Instead I glorify in the annual migration of the birds.  The Shrike is the harbringer of winter.  It has a favourite tree where it sits and calls out- an amazing sight.
This year I am also seeing a black-golden brownish bird about the size of the myna. They roost together in large numbers, are extremely noisy and it is an amazing sight to see when they all fly away together.  The expert in our department, Dr. Surya Prakash, enlightened me today. They are the Rosy Starlings, he told me, belonging to the same family as the myna. They are on their way to down south.  In a week or two, they will start moving. They move back in March/April but apparently they take a different route that allows them to gorge on locusts and grasshoppers.
The two check-dams in JNU are also having the winter migrants. I have to go and check them out.
Meantime, the nilgais ate up my brinjals and cauliflower plants. So we had to put a fence around, which made them so furious that they completely ate up one of my hibiscus plant.
Despite all this mayhem caused by the nilgais, I have managed to save the crysanthemums. They should flower within another week or so. We have also planted nastritiums and allyssums. The poppies are ready for transplant and I have to get petunias, pansies, and strawberries to complete my winter garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment