Saturday 24 January 2015

Cake brownies



At the end of my first year at graduate school, the Charlottesville public library had a sale. That is where I purchased my first library. Amongst the books I picked up was a book titled Cookiemania by Jeri Dry and Alix Engel. It was a second hand book. One of the recipes was for Chocolate Munchies. Against this the original owner (hopefully) had written "Jeremy does not like these".  I often wonder who Jeremy was and why he did not like these cookies.
I worked through the book, making many cookies, except for chocolate munchies (after all Jeremy must not have liked it for a reason), for my friends and family. The major problem is that almost all the recipes call for eggs and when I want to make these for my students I have to work around the egg issue.
This week I decided to make Brownies. There are those who swear by fudge brownies and those who swear by cake brownies. I do not care as long as it is chocolate.
The Cake Brownie recipe in the book is fabulous with a rich frosting. When I made them yesterday I omitted the frosting.
So here is the recipe.
1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup oil, 1 cup water, and 4 tablespoon cocoa should be mixed and brought to boil. Remove from fire and  add it  to 2 cups flour and 2 cups sugar mixture. I also added chopped vanilla pod instead of vanilla essence.
Then the original recipe calls for 2 eggs. I replaced it with 1/2 cup applesauce and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
To the above mixture, I added applesauce, baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 cup buttermilk and vanilla essence.
I stirred in some walnuts (I did not measure this) and poured the batter onto a 9 X 13 inch greased and floured pan.
The brownies were baked at 180oC till done.


No comments:

Post a Comment