Thursday 6 November 2014

Warming up with soups

Now that days have become shorter and evening cooler, I tend to include more soups in my diet. Winter is always delightful with wide range of vegetables. On my grocery day I picked up fresh peas and carrots so today I decided to make peas-carrot soup. It was simple. I gave tadka of jeera (cumin) and sauteed one onion, one carrot and few shelled peas. I then added water and allowed the vegetables to slowly cook. I flip-flopped about what spices to add then decided on using sambar powder. So that too went into the pot along with salt. Once the vegetables were done, I allowed it to cool (I learnt the hard way that patience in this matter is always a virtue or else you will end up with soup splashed all over the kitchen and one self).  Once cooled, I pureed it in the blender. Before eating I warmed it up and added garnish of coriander leaves.
Here it is:


As an aside, Nanku Ram today decided that we should plant coriander in the garden.  Sumithra has been telling him to plant it but he has been resisting the idea. Today he finally decided that on Sunday we will plant coriander. So hopefully, this winter I will have fresh dhaniya from the garden.
The garden is now being readied for winter flowers. We pruned the hibiscus and the pavazha malli tree.  Plots have now been prepared to plant nastriums, allysium, poppies, pansies, and of course petunias.  We have started the seeds for all except pansies (which failed to germinate) and petunias.  Once the plants have become hardier, we will transplant them into the prepared beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment