Thursday 2 October 2014

Dear Committee Members-Book review

Trawling through blogs devoted to books I came across this one- Dear Committee Members by Julia Schumacher.
It is a series of hilarious (and somewhat sad) set of recommendation letters written by Jason Fitger, Professor of Creative Writing and English. We learn his story (once considered a promising writer but now divorced and a forgotten writer who survives on his teaching) through the recommendation letters he writes for his students and colleagues. All those of us who have to write recommendation letters on daily basis will sympathize with him as he is bull-dozed into writing a letter for a student whom he has known only for 11 minutes (10 of which were spent in her convincing him to write a  letter on his behalf). As the University tightens its budget and slashes hiring (ah! don't we know about it? It was such a panacea to know that there are others who too struggle when the university tells them that there is no money), he struggles to get fellowships for his students. Through that emerges the story of his student Darren Bowles, a student with whom he empathizes possibly because he sees in him his own younger self.
The first half of the book was truly hilarious (my best part was when  the plaster of the department roof caves in on a student. I experienced the same in my old residence and which, I suspect, the University still has not repaired. I prudently moved to the newer flat which was offered to me at that time) - the second half turns serious with a twist that I, at least, did not foresee.
I purchased the book on Flipkart who sell it as a e-book. E-books are fine but I missed the pleasure of turning a page and curling up with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment