Wednesday 6 August 2014

The UPSC row and all that

My student is searching for a place to stay as he has to vacate the hostel after submitting his thesis. I asked him today how is the search coming along. The easiest place, where the students flock, is Munirka. He said he will not be shifting there. He and couple of his batchmates went to search for a place in Munika as they all  need one. The landlord's agent asked my student where he was from. My student said that he was from Manipur. The agent told him that the landlord is not looking to give the room to people from his part of country. His batchmates were ready to pick up the gauntlet (our students are ever ready to fight for equality and justice and I am proud of that) when my student pulled them away. There was no point he told them. He would not shift into a place where he was clearly unwelcome.  Hopefully, he has found a place in Ber Sarai. I hope so.
I am highlighting the episode to talk about how parochial and insular we are. I know that it existed because in the US I have experienced it. There would be an Indian association, and then a Tamil association, a Kerala association,  Marathi association and ad infinitum. But when you experience the racism at such close quarters it is frightening.
Which brings me to the UPSC row. The protesting students want CSAT scrapped because it heavily favour students who know English. I do not understand why we cannot come up with an aptitude test in all languages but that apart it is the government's response that is appalling. English language test, they said will not count for marks. I  am not very clear what will happen to the students from the North East. But my grouse is that most of the protesters are from the Hindi heartland who are very clear that they are not going to  learn any other language. The three language formula actually says  that we all have to learn three languages. It is a good principle but it has been jettisoned in this concept of MY LANGUAGE.
The problem today that we are facing is that we are highly prejudiced, highly racist and do not want to get out of our comfort zone be it in terms of language, religion, or food. I have had students who claim they cannot go to the South because they eat only rice. Go Figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment