Thursday 13 November 2014

Doing pointless work

I was going to post about the soup I made today. However,  yesterday I promised the Dean that I would work on the UGC project document for the department. The last date is 15th for the online submission and though the document has been prepared we had to upload it on the site.  I have had previous experience with UGC website and I was fully prepared to deal with it. But I must admit I underestimated UGC. I have no idea who prepared the online submission form. It obviously went to a company on least quote. The first problem I and my colleague encountered yesterday was that when we filled up a page and hit the save button, it refused to save the data. This morning I finally figured out the problem. Every field, especially the one marked with asterisk, should be completed before it will save and allow you to continue.  I was very happy at having cracked the problem and I breezed through the document till I came to the one termed seminars and conferences. I filled up every field and uploaded all the documents and yet it will not save it. I have given up. Tomorrow is another day. A fresh day and there will be two of us to work on the document and hopefully two Ph.Ds can figure out the glitch.
Meantime, I have prepared almost all the files in the required format. They require huge amount of information (most of them pointless according to me but possibly of relevance to the babus).  We finally decided that we do not have some of the information and cannot possibly gather it. One such information is about the total number of publications that each faculty has and then number of publications each faculty has in the past five years. We managed to get the publication list for the past 5 years for most of the faculty but gave up on the total number of publications. Fortunately, this had to be submitted as annexure otherwise I could not have proceeded on the online form.
I am looking forward to tomorrow when I will be done with it and get back to mundane things like submitting manuscripts to journals.
As for the soup, it got made in the morning. Sweet potato, potato and carrots, boiled and pureed. I had it in the afternoon with a dash of cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment