Saturday 13 September 2014

Yogurt Parfait (Or Wake up to the Smell of Yogurt)

When I last visited my brother and his wife in UK, they were kind enough to get me fruit yogurt to eat in the morning as I cannot abide either tea or coffee.  Those days there was an ad airing there for a particular brand of coffee that went : Wake up to the smell of coffee.  I parodied it to Wake up to the smell of yogurt.
I have an on-off relationship with yogurt. When my allergies become bad I stop eating yogurt as it aggravates it.  When the allergies subside I start eating yogurt again. This is my on season and I noticed that the shops are selling yogurt parfait. Pretty expensive stuff for something which is essentially layers of yogurt alternating with fruits and granola.  As it is very healthy  I decided to make it at home.  All the recipes I found on the internet called for Greek yogurt which turns out to be nothing other than yogurt without whey. This is the same thing that is used for making shrikand.
So I strained the yogurt overnight in the refrigerator. It can be done at room temperature too but the yogurt acquires a tart taste, which I dislike.  In the morning I had a nice creamy yogurt which I layered on a glass bowl. I used Kiwi fruit and granola for the layers. I added honey as sweetener.  I refrigerated it for a day to soften the garnola  before having it for breakfast this morning.
This can also be had as dessert. You can add any fruit.  You can add chocolate chips or coconut shavings or nuts or raisins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment