Tuesday 31 March 2020

Gardening in the time of lockdown

The University officially closed on March 21st though we are supposed to be on duty.  We have to conduct classes online.
The campus is now deserted as most of the students have gone home and everyone is cooped inside.
Nanku Ram, my gardener, called to inform that he cannot come because of the curfew, which means that I have taken over the gardening activities now.  Before the lockdown he had sowed the seeds for bhindi and brinjal.  He also planted bitter gourd, which is now beginning to climb up the fence.  Last year, we had a good yield of the vegetable.  I am crossing my fingers for this year.



We planted the dahlia plants late this year and they are now beginning to bloom.  The weather has also been very strange.  Even though we are now at the end of March, the summer has not yet begun. There is a cool breeze through the day,  it rained couple of days this month, and the dahlias seem to like it enough to flower. 




Few years back my mother had planted lemon seeds in a pot.  It has now grown into a full tree.  Two years back amma advised me to mix rock salt in the soil so that the tree will bear fruit.  Which I did so last year.  This year, I can see tiny fruits.  Yay!













No comments:

Post a Comment