Monday 25 November 2019

Citizens March

On Saturday, 23rd November, there was a citizen's march from Mandi House to Parliament Street. It was supposed to be till Parliament but we were stopped just before the Parliament Street Police Station.

I participated. It was spur of the moment decision.  I had planned to surrender my landline that day but when my friend asked whether I would like to join, I decided I had to do it.  The landline can be surrendered any other day but showing solidarity with the students did not come every day.

I would like to add some caveats here: I belong neither to the Left nor to the Right.  As another friend of my mine put it, I just am with what I believe is right (as opposed to wrong).  I will also add here that the continued lock down of the School/University administration fills me with apprehension.  I do not see a plan B or a way out of the impasse. I also do not think there should be only one fee structure for everyone but that can be debated later.

Hopefully, things will resolve this week.  I fervently hope so.

Back to the March.

Our students were there. So were many teachers. And many ex-students. There were students from other Universities.  I was delighted to see AIIMS- very unexpected-but they were there with a banner.
Talking of banners, there were some very delightful ones including one that said "To count condoms also one needs Education."  A very nice dig at those who said that condoms are found everywhere in JNU.
The police/CRPF were there.  But nothing much happened. We marched and came to halt near the Parliament Street Police Station.  A dais had been put up and the student leaders gave speech.
My friend and I decided to grab lunch and return home.

On the way home the autorickshaw driver said that he supported us because we were right.  If the prices increase, he asked, how will I provide education to my children.

In reality, school education is a right whereas higher education is a privilege.  In the US, school education is free and compulsory.  There are private schools but only the rich can afford them.  Everyone else just sends their children to the government schools.  Higher (college) education is expensive. There are scholarships and many students do end up taking college loan that they have to repay.  Also, not many end up taking college education.  They have other choices in terms of community colleges.

Of course in India everything is complicated by economy, patriarchy, religion, and caste. Neither school education nor higher education is accessible to many sections of the society. We need to make both accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment