Wednesday 12 July 2017

A tiny, little guava

The guava sapling was planted by my upstairs neighbor. Nanku Ram, my gardener, and I took care of it, providing nourishment both in form of fertilizer and water.  We pruned and watched it grow into a tree. Understandably he was upset when random people plucked all the fruit last year.  Sumitra, my  house help, was also upset.  They could have left at least one, didi, she lamented.  I was not upset. I am not too fond of guava.
This year too the tree flowered and very soon the fruits appeared.  However, I did not hold out any hope. I was sure that the random people will soon appear and pluck them off.  And then yesterday when I went into my tiny garden to get the flowers for my mother, I saw this tiny, little, ripe guava on the ground.  It was so perfect, the first fruit off the tree.  I picked it up to show it to my parent.  Of course, my mother wanted to eat it.  I photographed it first though and then sliced it.  My mother liked it.













My mother with the first guava

Thus, endeth the saga of the first guava.
But it was a good omen. My student's paper got accepted and she can now submit her thesis.
There are many more fruits on the tree. I hope I get to save at least two- one for Nanku Ram and one for Sumitra. 

No comments:

Post a Comment