Sunday 16 April 2017

Three interesting links

1. The first one is about HeLa cells. As almost all in biological sciences know, HeLa were the first cells to be successfully cultured in the laboratory.  The cells were taken from Henrietta Lacks, an African-American woman suffering from cervical cancer, without her knowledge.  Those interested should read the book "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. I read it my cousin's place in one night- well, I was leaving the next day and I had to finish the book. It is riveting because it touches one of the issues that we rarely talk about in Indian Universities- Ethical practices. To return back to the point, STAT News has an interesting article on HeLa cells- 5 important ways these cells changed medical practice.

The second and third links are something I found on Nanopolitan blog. 

2. First of this is for the academics- Get a life.  I loved this message at the end of the article.  It is so important for all of us.  I often find it incomprehensible when I find some of my students working all sorts of hours in the laboratory. It is almost as though they have no other life other than the laboratory. Of course, there are things that they are interested in but I do not think many of them have a serious hobby that they take time out to pursue.  I also do not think many of them pay attention to their physical health. So for all of them- Go Get a Life and you will find that rest is easy.

3. The third link..well...I will leave it to you to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment