Friday 21 October 2016

Of gladoli and apple cakes

The weather has finally cooled down. It was a long summer made worse by the tepid winter that we suffered in the beginning of the year.  We still do not know how severe/mild the winter will be this year but for the time being we are enjoying the cooler days.
The garden has changed color.  The harsingar/parijatam tree is in full bloom.  The hibiscus that was in fine flowering form was eaten by the nilgai so we had to chop it down.  We also moved a rose bush from under the harsingar tree to a place of its own and it has adapted quite well.
This year I decided to plant gladoli bulbs:


On the vegetable front, the doctor had advised my mother to eat lots of greens. So I went slightly berserk and  planted all kinds of greens- Malabar spinach (also known as pui), spinach, Amaranth greens, Methi, Argula, and of course lettuce.  As an experiment we also planted radish and broccoli. The radish is ready for harvesting while the broccoli has just germinated.
As the weather turned milder I realized that I have not done any baking this year.  So last Sunday I started officially the baking season by making an apple cake.  It turned out quite okay-soft and crumbly. 
This week with Deepavali around the corner, my mother and I are focusing on traditional sweets.  But after that, hopefully, I will get around to baking cakes and cookies for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment