Tuesday 14 April 2015

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate chip (walnut) cookies

I like my oatmeal cookies to be soft and chewy filled with raisins and chocolate chips and walnuts- all the things I love.  As my parents are winding up the trip and preparing to return back to their place in Chennai, I decided to make oatmeal cookies for them.
Cooking with my mother in the kitchen is an art and only my sister-in-law has it perfected. I prefer to do all the cooking when my mother is not there.  So I waited till she took her afternoon nap before attempting these cookies. The recipe, of course, comes from my favorite book, Cookiemania.  The recipe calls for 2 eggs which was replaced with 1 cup applesauce.  I found chocolate chips in Nature Fresh shop in Vasant Vihar and black raisins in FoodHall in the DLF mall.
For the cookies, one needs to cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups of sugar (1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar) together.  Add 1 cup applesauce (or 2 eggs) and beat till the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
The original recipe calls for 2 cups of flour which I replaced with 1 cup maida and 1 cup atta.  Mix the flour with 1 tsp of baking soda.  One needs to add salt too but since I used salted butter, I omitted the salt. 
Add the flour mix to the butter mix slowly, mixing thoroughly after each addition.  Once all the flour is added, mix in 2 cups of oatmeal.  Then add 1 cup raisins, 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts.
Drop 1 tablespoonful of batter onto a greased cookie sheet.  Make sure there is about 2 inch space between each batter drop as these cookies tend to spread.
Bake at 190oC for 10 minutes or so till it is browned.
It is a rich cookie but oh so satisfying.



No comments:

Post a Comment