Monday 28 July 2014

The new Airtel ad

I do have a television. I do not watch it because I find the programs too boring (apart from The Big Bang Theory) and the advertisements make my blood boil. Everybody in the ad is fair complexioned. Most of the advertisements promote fairness cream. The woman does all the washing and the cooking and serves her husband and the kids. The men feature only in the car and the air-conditioner ads. The woman meekly sits beside  her husband as he drives his family around. That is not to say that there are no ads with women driving cars- but they are single and therefore, to be pataoed. You get my point?
That is why I have not seen the airtel ad. But Firstpost has an article and the ad on their website. So I watched it. And I wished I had not.  Much like I wished I had not watched Excuse me Mr. Kandasamy- my brother is going to pay heavily for pointing out this song to me.

Anyway, I watched the ad and I have questions:
1. I would like to meet the woman who is energetic enough to cook up all those dishes after a long day in the office. I want to know the secret of her energy. Maybe I will then feel like dishing up lovely dinner after a day with my students.
2. If the roles were reversed, would the husband have done the same?

I suppose I should be thankful to small mercies that at least they showed that the woman was the boss but I am not. All that the ad says is that even if the woman is doing extremely well in her career, she still has to come home and cook food for her husband. 

Oh, the worst ad?  There is this surf excel ad that pops up whenever I listen to music on You Tube. The ad ends with this boy saying "Tell mummy about the new surf excel" Garrh! 

1 comment: